Friday, August 5, 2022

Restaurants

Delaware abounds with good places to eat and I keep trying them all out. Here are ten that I have eaten in recently. Let me know in the comments if you agree with my assessments. Also, let me know of anywhere you recommend I try.









Agave, Lewes and Rehoboth

Since its inception, the restaurant in Lewes has been notoriously difficult to get into. One day, I was in Lewes and saw people lining up to get in two hours before it opened. I could never convince myself that Mexican food and margaritas were worth a two hour wait. I had friends assure me that the food was that good, but I remained skeptical.

Once the branch opened in Rehoboth, things got better. This branch is much bigger and is out on the highway, so you need to make an effort to get there. Make the effort. The food and the drinks are as good as everyone says.

I went with my mom. We both started with margaritas, hers a standard, mine spicy. They were both fantastic, but we went with the spicy one for round two. It is an outstanding drink. Refreshing with just the right amount of sweet and spice. I could have had a third, but like I said, you have to drive to get there.

The food is just as good. Mom had steak tacos and pronounced her steak perfectly cooked. I had the grilled shrimp. While the shrimp were just average, the mango salsa that accompanied the dish was perfection. We also had the guacamole trio and enjoyed two of the three. We had chosen a pumpkin/gouda combination that didn't work, but the tomato/onion and garlic/shrimp were both delicious.

The service was impeccable and the prices are not too shattering for a meal at the beach. I highly recommend this restaurant. 



Caffé Gelato, Newark

An institution for nigh on twenty years, this restaurant deserves all the plaudits it gets. As soon as you walk in, you are struck by how beautifully everything is laid out and how polite and well trained the staff are.

I have been here for lunch where a delicious and perfectly priced salad made my day. Not too much, so that I was able to keep going through the afternoon.

The number one reason to come, however, is the gelato. I am not a huge fan, but my sister is a veritable expert on the subject. She pronounced it delicious.




Cajun Kate's, Wilmington

The winner of numerous awards both in Delaware and Philadelphia for their authentic Cajun fare, this is one of those places I have wanted to try for a while. I kept changing my mind because the outside is not the most welcoming place I've ever seen.

Tucked into a tiny strip mall on Philadelphia Pike that includes a tattoo parlor and a nail salon, I kept finding reasons to try something else. The other issue that stopped me from going is very limited parking.

Recently, I was driving by and there was a parking space right in front. I decided it was time to finally have some NOLO grub and, wow, was I glad I got over myself.

I spent a great deal of time trying to decide what to order. Everything looked and smelled so good. Finally, I decided to go the traditional route. I ordered a small gumbo and a small jambalaya so I could taste both. Amazingly good food that filled me up and kept my mouth buzzing from just the right amount of heat.

I ordered some beignets as well. I saved them to have with my morning coffee, but they did not keep well. Much better fresh out of the fryer than stored overnight. Overall, this place is amazing. Give it a try.




Dog House, New Castle

This restaurant has been around since 1952; it's been a Delaware institution almost that long. Famous for its foot long hotdogs, the menu has expanded over the years to include burgers, cheesesteaks, and sandwiches.

If you are coming here, however, you must have the hotdog. Plain or smothered in all kinds of good things, it is delicious and the perfect size for lunch. Add in some fries (served piping hot) and a shake (that is so thick a straw is almost useless), and you have a nostalgic lunch that, while it may not be the most healthy thing you will ever eat, will fill you up and put a smile on your face.





Home Grown, Newark

One of the myriad of food choices on Main Street in Newark, Home Grown stands out from the crowd. I expected a college hang out kind of place, and to some degree that is exactly what it is. It is casual and the vibe is very laid back. However, the food is so good that the afternoon I was there the patrons included all types of people, not just students.

Home Grown is known for catering to all types of diets. If you are vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, or none of the above, you will find something here to tempt you. As I am none of the above, I was spoilt for choice.

I ordered the mushroom soup which was filling and delicious. Perfect for a cold afternoon. I followed that with their famous grilled cheese sandwich and Yukon Gold fries. The grilled cheese was so rich I brought half of it home for dinner. The fries, served with an aioli sauce, did not last long at all.

In addition to the food, there is a full bar. I had a Bloody Mary that was very, very spicy. I loved it, but if spice is not your thing, you have been warned. In addition, there are many cocktails created by the staff, bottles of decent wine, and a large selection of local beers.

Home Grown gets a high recommendation from me. Try it the next time you are in Newark.



Ioannoni's Specialty Sandwiches, New Castle

This sandwich shop is consistently listed as among the best in Delaware. There are those who argue that the pork and roast beef is as least as good as, if not better than, what you will find in Philadelphia's Italian market.

I had a particular reason for wanting to try this shop. The owner is a second cousin of mine and the food he cooks are recipes handed down from my great-grandmother and my great-aunt. Call me biased, but I am now one of those who believe that these sandwiches cannot be surpassed anywhere.

The Roast Pork Supremo and the Roast Beef Supremo both come with warm meat, provolone cheese, and broccoli rabe all served on a gorgeous hoagie roll. For once, I did not have to choose as I was dining with my mom. We each took half of each sandwich and pronounced them supremo. When you order, a small will be more than enough. It fed each of us twice.

I have found my new sub shop. It is worth a detour the next time you are in the New Castle area.



Kozy Korner Restaurant, Wilmington

You have to give props to any restaurant that has managed to stay open for 100 years. Kozy Korner achieved that milestone in 2022. I had to check it out.

I was there for breakfast and the menu is old fashioned diner. Eggs, omelets, pancakes, and french toast are all on order, but not much else. I had an omelet that was edible, home fries that were nothing special, and really good toast.

This is the kind of place where the waitress sits down at your table with you as she explains things to you. I had to learn that the lunch menu is not available on the weekend. Yes, she sat to tell me that.

If you find yourself hankering for a diner breakfast and you are in the Union Street area, check it out. Otherwise, I wouldn't go out of my way.



La Casa Pasta, Newark

A restaurant that has been in this same location since 1978. Back in the day, it was one of the go to Italian restaurants in town and, as a family, we ate here fairly frequently. We then discovered other Italian places sometimes a bit further afield and fell out of the habit of eating at this one.

About two years ago, my family came here for dinner. To say that we were not impressed is putting it mildly. A couple of us could not eat the food put in front of us; others said it was only all right. Nothing special.

In the past year, I have had lunch here on several occasions. I have decided that this is a lunch restaurant as the food is really good and there are numerous options from which to choose. I have both ordered off the menu (a very good Caesar salad with chicken) and partaken of the lunch buffet.

The buffet is pricy, but your choices are vast. Three types of meat, fish, two or three pasta choices, two soup choices, loads of salads, and loads of desserts. Everything I have tried is very good and is hot when you sit down to eat it.

Is this the best Italian around? No, but it is a good place for lunch in a spot that is convenient to most of Northern Delaware. Recommended with reservations.



Lili's Place, Bethany Beach

One of the newer offerings in Bethany, this lovely little cafe is located just off the boardwalk. As I am convinced that every beach town in the state has more than enough places to eat, I was a tad skeptical about trying yet another one. I was wrong.

Lili's is primarily a pizza place, which is a shame because Pomodoro (see below) is a block away. What sets Lili's apart, however, is that she serves empanadas, something one does see every day of the week at the beach. And, wow. They are simply outstanding.

Served to me as too hot to handle, the aroma was intoxicating. I got them home and dug in. I had one beef and one spinach and cheese. Each was better than the other. The pastry is flaky and light and there is just enough of it. The filling is hot and beautifully seasoned.

The part that most stunned me was the price. Extremely affordable for a little place in such a prime location. Highly recommended for lunch in the Bethany area.



Pomodoro Pizzeria, Bethany Beach

Whenever I am asked where the best pizza in Delaware, I answer Pomodoro without a second of hesitation. Run by Mama (she is Italian born and bred) and her son, they ran a shop in Wilmington for years and decided to "retire" to the beach.

This is true Italian/New York pizza. The crust is light and crunchy and there is not too much of it. The sauce is perfectly seasoned and the cheese is fresh and plentiful. The toppings are generous and delicious. The only slight niggle I have is that they do not offer anchovies. A pizza without anchovies isn't quite complete, but this comes very close.

For the beach, the prices are reasonable. In addition to pizza, you can order stromboli or calzone, but why? The pizza is worth the drive to the beach 

Finally, there are two places I have written about previously that are perfect if you are with a crowd and everyone is craving something different. If you are downtown Wilmington, head to DE.CO; if you are on the riverfront, head to the Riverfront Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment