Monday, September 5, 2022

Restaurant Review: Red, White and Basil

I was very excited to try this restaurant as it is owned by the people who run Eden and Jam, both excellent restaurants in downtown Rehoboth. There has been a lot of chatter about how good it is, so I went in with high expectations for a good meal. I wanted it to be fabulous.

Things started well. The cocktail list is fun with specials that tempt you out of your comfort zone. I had a pear martini with smoked rosemary that was outstanding. My mom had a negroni made with prosecco. While it was served on ice and she would have preferred it up, she declared it delicious. The wine list is excellent. Some very good choices at a reasonable price.

To start, we had salads, calamari and my niece ordered garlic bread. While my Caesar salad was nothing exciting, my mom's beet salad was delicious. Even I, who would rather starve than eat beets of any kind, thought it was quite tasty. My niece declared the garlic bread wonderful and we all enjoyed the calamari that were fried to perfection. Great taste and not too greasy.

Unfortunately, things went a bit off the rails with our main courses. All of us ordered pasta dishes and we were all disappointed in the results. The pasta, while homemade, was not cooked well. It was bland and "boring" as one of my dining companions referred to it. It certainly lacked seasoning of any kind.

My mom got the clam sauce which needed a lot more flavor. It did not have nearly enough punch, especially on the bland pasta. My niece ordered the baked pasta with the meatballs. She loved the meatballs, but said the pasta had an aftertaste that she didn't enjoy at all. I had the cod puttanesca. The fish was cooked well and the sauce had some flavor, but neither could overcome the pasta.

The dessert menu is extremely limited. There are four options, two of which are not appropriate for people under the legal drinking age. My niece, who falls into that category, was disappointed in her lack of choices. There is an interesting looking cheese plate, but we passed as we were full by this time.

The venue is very nice. The tables are far enough apart that you do not feel as though you are sharing a meal with neighbor and the chairs are comfortable. There is an outside eating area, but you overlook the traffic on Route 1. We chose to eat indoors when we saw it.

Which brings me to the staff, the high point of this restaurant. The hostess went out of her way to change our table from outside to inside and did it with a smile. Our server, the bus staff, and the bar staff all waited on us with a smile and a friendly comment. I was very impressed with everyone whom we met.

This restaurant is bordering on being an excellent addition to the Rehoboth food scene. The staff, the drinks, the appetizers were all wonderful. Unfortunately, for an Italian restaurant, it really needs to fix the pasta situation. If they do so, I will be back to try it again. Like I said, I want it to be great.

Red, White and Basil
20200 Coastal Highway, Rehoboth
Next to Fractured Prune on the southbound side
302-212-5452

No comments:

Post a Comment