Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Restaurant Review: Riverfront Market

Similar to DE.CO in the middle of town, the Riverfront Market is an old building that has been repurposed, just down on the riverfront. It, too, has vendors selling various types of food catering to the office crowd who work in that part of town. A woman I know who works on the riverfront has lunch there every day. When I asked why, she told me that the choices are plentiful, the prices reasonable, and it is convenient. What else could you want from a lunch spot?

The market is unprepossessing when you walk in. The lighting is on the dark side, and the vendors are simply lined along two sides of the building. Yet, the space is filled with tables and chairs in which you can hang out for as long as you like. Additional seating is upstairs, so I have never had to hunt too long for a table.

When the weather is nice, there are tables outside as well. This is where I usually eat my food as I enjoy sitting and watching the world go by along the riverfront.


Jeenwong Thai Cuisine

You know when your mother told you that if you didn't have anything nice to say, don't say anything? Well, I'm going to follow Alice Roosevelt Longworth's "If you don't have anything nice to say, come sit by me."

This vendor is simply awful. I went by one day for lunch and stood at the counter for nearly ten minutes while the woman in the kitchen carried on with her prep. When she finally acknowledged me, I asked about the specials as there was more than one sign strongly suggesting I do so. She just grunted and said that she hadn't bothered today. I was a bit taken aback, but I like Thai food so I wasn't too upset about it. I ordered dumplings and Pad Thai.

After waiting another half hour, the food finally arrived -- in to go boxes although I had said I was going to stay. Again, I was willing to shrug it off. Until I tried a dumpling. It was terrible, gummy and flavorless.  I threw the rest out and opened up the Pad Thai. Again, I had one bite and threw the rest out. It was the worst I have ever had. The noodles were way overcooked, there was no protein of any kind, and a few lonely stalks of broccoli.

I cannot recommend this one on any level.


La Taqueria Santa Fe

This is build your own Mexican food. You start with how you want your dish (taco/burrito/salad/bowl), choose a protein and additional fillings, followed by toppings and sauces. As you can see from the photo, the choices are numerous and the possible combinations are endless.

I ordered two tacos, one with steak and one with chicken. I loaded them up with all the goodies I could. They came to me served with brown rice and black beans. Everything on that plate was delicious. I had taken it home to eat later and, even reheated, the flavors were perfect and the serving size was plentiful without being overwhelming.

And, all of this served with a smile and friendly conversation. Definitely a place I will return to. Soon.


Pachamana Peruvian Rotisserie

If chicken is your thing, this is the place for you. Rotisserie chicken that you can buy by the piece or splurge on a whole one if you and your clan are hungry. The chicken also finds its way into salads, fried rice, and sandwiches. By far, my favorite thing here is the chicken fried rice. It is chock full of meat and veggies and tastes amazing. The price may give you a bit of sticker shock, but I always get at least two meals from an order.

If chicken is not your thing, there are other kinds of meat on offer including ribs, brisket, and steak. Although I have never tried them, they always look good and smell even better. The starters and the sides are standard, but I do recommend the empanadas. They are freshly made and are served to you piping hot.


Riverfront Produce

A produce grocer right in the middle of all the vendors selling prepared food? It works!

The produce on offer is mostly fruit, but it is fresh and cut up for you so there is no work involved before you can enjoy it. I have bought fruit here on multiple occasions and have never been disappointed. The prices are amazingly low for fruit this fresh and the amount you get.

In addition to the fruit, there are some vegetables, some prepared salads, containers of nuts and seeds which I buy to snack on, and shelves of Asian food items you might not find easily elsewhere.

Worth a trip to the market to see what is on offer.


Savanna Salad Bowls and Sandwiches

This is my favorite vendor in the market. The food they serve is incredibly varied, incredibly tasty, and incredibly good for you. At least, it is better for you than some of the other food on offer here.

The grain bowls and the salad bowls are full meals. Each has a grilled protein, loads of fresh vegetables, and a grain and/or greens base. They are satisfying meals that don't leave you feeling as though you need a nap in the middle of the day. One word of caution -- ask for the dressing on the side. The staff are very generous with the dressing and it can sometimes be a bit overwhelming.

If you feel like something a bit more substantial, there is a large selection of sandwiches and always a couple of soups on offer. I have never tried either, but they all look amazing.

The bowls have become my go to lunch if I am out in Wilmington in the middle of the day. Try one. You'll thank me for it.


Serena's Soulfood

I wasn't sure what to expect when I walked up to this vendor. As I began looking through the menu, it became clear that this was going to be a comfort food kind of lunch. To begin, nearly everything on the menu is fried.

I had the whiting fish and on another occasion I had the chicken. Both are outrageously good. Even though they are fried, they are not overly heavy nor greasy. There is a fair amount of seasoning, but not enough that it puts you off the dish.

The sides are what you would expect. The mac and cheese is good, but not anything really special. The seafood salad is also nicely prepared, but a tad heavy on the mayonnaise. Neither quibble stopped me from eating a fair amount of both. The crab fries could be a meal in themselves.

The serving size if generous. I always get two meals from an order. The service is lovely and friendly. If you are looking for good comfort food, this is the place for you.


Tokyo Sushi

It seems as though every food court I walk into these days has a place that sells sushi. I am more often than not a tad skeptical about it as fish that is not fresh is about as dire a food choice as there is. This vendor, however, uses incredibly fresh fish and creates sushi that is very nice.

There is nothing terribly exciting about this sushi. It is what I call Sushi 101 -- tuna rolls, salmon rolls, standard pieces of sushi. You get the idea. However, it is all beautifully prepared and when the fresh fish runs out, the vendor closes down for the day.

If fish is not your thing, you are able to get dumplings and some basic dim sum. Neither is terribly exciting and, while they are perfectly good, they are not worth going out of your way for. Get the sushi if you are going to eat here.

Overall, this is an excellent place for lunch down on the riverfront. You will most definitely find something to eat in an atmosphere that is relaxing. I come down here a lot.

Riverfront Market
3 South Orange Street
Wilmington, DE

No comments:

Post a Comment