Friday, November 12, 2021

Restaurant Review: Dew Point Brewing Co.

You know that old adage about buying property that says the three most important aspects to consider before purchasing are location, location, location. The Hoffman Family, who own and run Dew Point Brewery, got that one exactly right.

It is difficult to imagine a better place to have a brewery than the old Garrett Snuff Mill. A gorgeous old brick building that still has the smoke stack in the middle of the yard and ivy growing up the sides. While the brewery itself is easy to find with your GPS, the tasting room is a bit of a hunt. It is around the back of the building and up a flight of stairs.

The brewery also owns a very large swathe of land next to the building on which they have constructed the best beer garden I have yet to experience in Delaware. I was there on a chilly autumn afternoon and there were fire pits roaring and heaters blasting, so it was more than comfortable sitting outside. From that vantage point, you can hear the creek running and see the trees waving in the breeze. Truly ideal with a good beer in your hand.

The food options are limited to bags of snacks, but on Fridays there is a rota of food trucks. I lucked out the Friday I was there and had a Bucky's BBQ pork sandwich that was divine and the perfect size for lunch.

The service was exceptional. The young guy behind the bar (whom I have since learned in a member of the family) could not have been nicer or more helpful. Running up and down those stairs all day, he ensured that everyone outside was warm enough and well taken care of.




The beers that I tasted were, from left to right:

Must Be Nice: a pilsner that is light and drinkable. It's a bit fruity, but there is a great malt taste at the end that cuts through the sweetness. I would certainly drink this on a hot summer's day.

French Connection: a beautifully made saison that transported me across the pond to the original beers. Light and drinkable with just a hint of sour that I really enjoyed.

Dream On: an American IPA that is very good. It is a tad on the bitter side, but the overall flavor was very nice and refreshing. Another one I could easily enjoy a pint of on a hot day.

Spring Hill: a porter that was nicer than many of this type of beer can be. It was a bit sweet at the beginning, but a nice bitter finish elevated it to something special. I really enjoyed this beer.

And, because I could not leave without tasting the stout, I had the Haulin' Oats. This was my favorite beer that I tried. Beautiful smooth taste. If I hadn't been driving, I would have had a full pint of it.

This brewery has everything going for it. The venue is something special and the beers you will drink are very good for such a small operation. Highly recommended.

Dew Point Brewing Co.
2878 Creek Road
Yorklyn, DE
302-235-8429

No comments:

Post a Comment