Sunday, June 27, 2021

Restaurant Review: Bethany Blues

I need to start this review with full disclosure. I worked at Blues for five years and so I am, perhaps, a bit biased about how good the food and the service is. But, in my defense, I had some back up validation the other day.

I am spending the weekend at the beach with my niece and nephew, both of whom are teenagers and both of whom have eaten at Blues many times in the past. On the first night we were together, I told them I would take them anywhere they wanted to go for dinner. The instant and unanimous decision that I got was "Blues --for the mac and cheese."

My nephew is a vegetarian. I reminded him that Blues is fundamentally BBQ and so the menu is filled with meat and has rather limited vegetarian options. He assured me that he would find something to eat. And, he did. He ordered the portobello burger and devoured it, telling me it was fantastic.

Which is a perfect example of what makes Bethany Blues such a great place to eat. The menu is extensive. It is a BBQ place, so you will find the standard meats that have been slow cooked in the roaster located on the premises. The pulled pork is out of this world and the ribs are the best I have had this far north.

If BBQ meat is not your thing, there are several fish choices. I often order the crab cakes when I come. They are phenomenal -- full of crab and very little filler. When I worked at Blues, I begged the chef for his recipe more than once. He would just smile, pat me on the shoulder, and move on with his day.

To begin your meal, there is a large selection of starters, soups, and salads. My family likes the pub pretzel with its two dipping sauces. My personal favorite is the pigs on the wing. These are thick ribs coated in buffalo sauce and served with bleu cheese. I have been known to make a meal of these.

The sides are numerous and delicious. As I alluded to at the beginning of this piece, my niece and nephew believe the mac and cheese to be the best anywhere. They have loved it since they were little.

Desserts are based on what the local pastry chef has made that day. The other day, a peanut butter pie was on the menu. Huge slices appeared, so huge we had to take some home. And, that's saying something when you are feeding two growing kids with a sweet tooth.

In addition to all this food, Blues specializes in bourbon. The collection they have is extensive and, according to my friends who are bourbon aficionados, there are some real treats on the list. If you want something other than bourbon, the wine list, beer list, and cocktail list are all well thought out.

Blues does lunch, a pared down version of its dinner menu. It also does a fantastic Sunday brunch with a build your own Bloody Mary bar. You can order the food to take out or you can eat in. If you are enjoying a perfect day on the beach, Blues will deliver your lunch to you on the beach. When you come off the beach, happy hour is a great time to eat some nibbles and have a cold drink all at bargain prices.

If you have little ones, the kids menu is extensive. Kids love to come here because their food is served in frisbees they take with them. I'm not going to tell you how many of them we had at our house when my niece and nephew were younger. The kids menus double as coloring pages and crayons are provided.

This is an extremely family friendly place. It is loud and boisterous, sometimes boarding on too much. The atmosphere is very relaxed with friendly service and loads of people who are there for a good meal and a good time.

Blues only takes reservations until 5:30. After that, it is first come/first served. You put you name on the list and they send you a text message when your table is ready. You have fifteen minutes to get to the restaurant, so you have some options about how to spend your waiting time. When I went to put my name on the list, the wait was about half an hour. I asked if I could stretch that to an hour, and they were very happy to do that. As a result, the three of us only waited about five minutes for our table once we got to the restaurant.

There is another location in Lewes. Slightly different menu and much larger building, but many of the same attributes that make this restaurant such a treat. Each location has nightly specials during the off season and each hosts wonderful tasting dinners. Check out the website for full details.


Bethany Blues of Bethany
6 North Pennsylvania Avenue
302-537-1500

Bethany Blues of Lewes
18385 Coastal Highway
302-644-2500

No comments:

Post a Comment