Friday, June 4, 2021

A Dozen of Delaware's Best Bakeries/Coffee Shops

"When life gives you lemons, trade them for coffee."
--Anonymous

I love coffee. I love the smell. I love the taste. The first thing I do in the morning is brew a cup so that my apartment fills up with that magic aroma.

There are many, many coffee shops in Delaware. I debated doing an article on them all and realized that it would be novel sized. So, I picked some of my favorites and/or ones I wanted to try. I will probably do a part two at some point. Comment below on the ones I missed and that you would like to see included moving forward.


Ciro Forty Acres, Wilmington
Once upon a time, a charming little coffee shop lived here. As my sister used to live right down the road, we came here to gossip and drink caffeine often. The business changed hands during the pandemic, but I was excited to try this as I loved its sister restaurant.

I went in one morning during the week and I was the only one there. The owner was doing some renovations, so the entire place looked unfinished and unkempt. The atmosphere was missing. The air conditioning was on way too high and, if you are not a fan of country music, you are out of luck.

The choice of pastries was limited, so I went with the tried and true croissant. The nice thing was that it came to the table nice and warm, but other than that it was just ordinary. If you want something more substantial, there are a good number of choices that span from true breakfast to more lunch/brunch fare. However, be prepared to pay. A plate of French Toast will run you $15.

The coffee is La Colombe which means it is very good. My coffee came to the table piping hot and generously served.

Overall, not a terrible place, but there are better not far away.

Dolce Bakery and Coffee Shop, Milford
This is the bakery that is generating quite a lot of buzz in Delaware these days. Every time I read or listen to something about new bakeries, this one is always mentioned. I couldn't wait to try it.

It deserves every bit of praise it is getting. A tiny little store front tucked into Milford's main street, there is some room to sit, but not much. I was there on a Friday afternoon and the place was still mobbed. People were buying boxes of cookies and cupcakes, each of which looked better than the last.

I decided that I deserved a treat and bought what they call a "Breakfast Cookie." Oh my! Chewy and flavorful, full of oats and raisins and other things that I pretended were good for me. They source their coffee from Rise Up (see below), so it was delicious as well.

I enjoyed my cookie and my coffee sitting on a bench right outside the store. The front door was never closed for longer than about 15 seconds as people kept pouring in and coming out with divine smelling boxes of goodies.

This is a coffee shop definitely worth a detour.


Drifting Grounds, Bethany Beach
For a long time, this was my favorite coffee shop at the beach. Owned by a wonderful young couple who always greeted their customers with a smile, the shop sold great coffee and delicious food. It was the kind of place you could sit in for hours. The wifi was free; the chairs were comfy; there was always a jigsaw puzzle on the go. I spent a fair amount of time in that space.

During the craziness that was 2020, however, the owners gave up the space they were in and opted for a food truck. Unfortunately, almost everything that was great about Drifting Grounds is no more. 

Obviously the building is gone, but so is the food. The only options the morning I was at the truck were pre-packaged gluten free and vegan muffins. I have nothing against either gluten free or vegan, but would have preferred a few more choices.

I decided I would try a blueberry muffin. It was small and it cost me $4, so I was already a tad put out. When I got it home and found that it tasted like cardboard, I was even more put out. On a happier note, the coffee is still exceptional.

I wish the owners nothing but success, but I am not impressed with the changes that have been made so far.

Fractured Prune, Rehoboth Beach and Millville
This is the place to come if you like funky doughnuts, untraditional flavors that will leave you in a state of sugar shock for the rest of the morning. Start with a hot doughnut, add one of 19 glazes to it, then finish it off with one of 13 toppings.

If all of that is too overwhelming before coffee, the restaurant has many pre-ordained combinations from which to choose. I tried the Peppermint Patty (one bite and I had to drink half a coffee to combat the sweet) and the Lemonade (better, but still very sweet).

I am not a sugar person, so they are a bit too much for me, but they are obviously incredibly popular. The morning I was there, the place was packed with people buying a dozen or more, some to take home, some to take into the office.

If you really want to avoid sugar, bagels are also on offer. I don't recommend the bagels as they are just ordinary and there are better ones just up the road (see below). The coffee is good, but nothing special.


Kaisy's Delights, Lewes
I've been reading a lot about the Kaisy lately. Interestingly, those who have tried it and written about it tend to fall into one of two extremes -- either they love it or they hate it. Described on the website as "a delicious pancake mixed with a funnel cake and a fluffy french toast all chopped up on a buttery grill," I decided I would see which camp I fall into.

I neither loved it nor hated it, but would not rush back to eat it again. Even plain it is very, very sweet. Most people eat this by adding sweet toppings to it or by eating it with ice cream. I am fairly sure something like that would send me into a sugar coma. I tried to combat the sweetness with a savory topping of scrapple, but the Kaisy won.

The menu is extensive, so there are many other options if sweet is not your thing. The coffee is La Columbe which is one of my favorites.

The store itself is lovely and the staff are extremely nice and helpful. Bright colors fill the space and there is plenty of room to sit and relax. 

Notting Hill Coffee Roastery, Lewes
As the roaster is smack dab in the middle of the shop, you can only imagine the aroma when the door to this shop closes behind you. Divine. The shop has 125 different kinds of coffee that they will grind and bag for you. The hard part will be choosing which one you want.

In addition, there are a myriad of baked goodies that all looked amazing. I broke down and tried the croissant which was light, buttery, and perfect. Temptingly on display was something called an Ooey Gooey which tastes as good as it sounds. Their sticky buns are the size of manhole covers.

To drink, I tried a Vanilla Dream. Touted as fat free and caffeine free, I decided I could do that and still enjoy the pastry I couldn't resist. I should have resisted this and stuck with coffee. Milky and way too sweet.

The shop also sells sandwiches, wraps, soups, and salads.

The Point Coffee House and Bake Shoppe, Rehoboth Beach
Like Notting Hill above, this coffee shop has its roaster right in the shop. I walked in on a Saturday morning, buffeted by a howling nor'easter. As soon as I entered, I went from cold and miserable to warm and happy. The place was packed which gave me time to ponder what goodie I was going to indulge in.

Believe me, you are spoilt for choice here. Bagels with spread or as a sandwich; quiche; oatmeal; fruit; different toasts; Belgian waffles; sandwiches and salads for lunch. The list just goes on and on. On top of all this is a huge display case filled with baked goods. The sticky buns are the biggest I have ever seen. Trying to avoid temptation, I asked a gentleman who was eating one if it was as good as it looked. "Hell, yes" was the response. I decided there was no way I was going to finish that amount of pastry, so I ordered a croissant which was perfect -- light and buttery.

You are also spoiled for choice when it comes to something to drink. In addition to the home roasted coffee, there are frozen drinks, frappes, and smoothies. I had my usual black decaf (the house blend) and it was out of this world. The latte I brought to someone who knows latte was not received as well. A tad watery was the verdict.

While I was standing in line, I noticed foods to go for dinner. After explaining what was in that case, my mothers and I decided that comfort food was in order for a cold night, so I was dispatched back to pick up dinner. We had empanadas to start and chicken pot pies as our main. They were both fantastic with perfect pastry and fillings that were flavorful and packed with goodies. Definitely a go to if you want a quick and easy dinner.

Rise Up Coffee Roasters, Rehoboth Beach
Rise Up is an Eastern Shore institution. As I have traveled up and down the Chesapeake, I have seen their stores in many of the towns I have visited although I had never been inside. I was excited when I heard that they had finally opened a store in Rehoboth.

I arrived on a blowy, rainy, very early Sunday morning. Assuming I would be the only one crazy enough to be out at that hour and in that weather, I was surprised at how crowded the shop was. A very good sign.

There was a rather limited amount of items to eat. The usual bagels and egg sandwiches were predominant. I was hungry, so I ordered the egg sandwich with scrapple and cheese on an everything bagel. The crew were making two sandwiches at the same time and I think they switched the bags. When I got home, I had bacon and egg on an English muffin. It was fine, but not what my heart was set on.

The coffee is exceptional. I remembered having this coffee when I was at Dolce (see above), so I splurged on an extra large. It lasted me all morning and the last sip was as good as the first. I am so pleased that people seem to be getting the hang of decaf coffee.

Riverfront Bakery, Wilmington
As soon as I walked through the door of this bakery, I knew I was going to be very pleased. The smell, a beguiling combination of coffee and baked goods, is enough to send me into a swoon.

Directly in front as you walk in is a display case filled to the brim with all kinds of goodies, both savory and sweet. There are breakfast pastries of all kinds in addition to the pastries one normally indulges in for dessert. In addition, there are things with a tad more substance. Crepes of all kinds are on offer as well as simply wonderful looking varieties of quiche. If all of this weren't enough, you can have a sandwich on a home made croissant.

After much deliberation, I finally settled on a cheese brioche. I'm not kidding, I had to stop myself from ordering a second. The coffee on order is La Colombe which is very good.

Enjoy all of these goodies in a bright, well lit space. The owner is lovely and very attentive to her guests. Obviously a talented baker, she shares some of her secrets during cooking classes she offers from time to time.

Sandy Pony, Bethany Beach
This tiny shop, located along Garfield Parkway, always has a line in the morning. Always. I went one morning and people were standing outside in a drizzle.

For a reason. Sandy Pony is known for its doughnuts. They are delicious. While there are some crazy flavors a la Fractured Prune (above), they also have some simple choices that are wonderful. While I enjoy some of the simple flavors, I enjoy them the most just plain. The bases are light and not too greasy.

In addition to the doughnuts, they serve acai bowls with your choice of toppings and drizzles. Although I have never had one, I have it on good authority that they are among the best around. The coffee is Rise Up (above), but they do not serve decaf. They also serve a variety of teas and smoothies.

Sleeping Bird Coffee Co., Wilmington
This relatively new place got a rave write-up in one of the many emails I receive to find out what is new in Delaware. As it is located about five minutes from where my early morning appointment was, I decided to pop in and give it a try.

For four years, Sleeping Bird was a coffee truck. The two owners have only recently decided to do the bricks and mortar thing. Unfortunately, they are not off to a great start.

When I arrived, there were five people in front of me. As it was quite early in the morning, I was a bit surprised, but quickly found out what the problem was. The young woman taking the orders was getting them wrong. Literally. Every order she took, she made a mistake. As a result, the poor people making the drinks had to make every drink twice which rather slowed down the process. My drink? A black iced decaf. Hard to mess up, I would think. When it arrived, it had been made light. Yuck. I was running late, so I decided to not worry about it and just go. I can't tell you how the coffee tasted. All I could taste was the milk.

In addition to the coffee drinks (some espresso, some drip), there are various food items. None are as pretty as some of the others on this list, but I had a maple biscuit that was quite tasty.


Surf Bagel, Lewes and Rehoboth Beach
As a former New Yorker, I know a good bagel when I taste one. These are great bagels, by far the best in this part of the world.

The flavors of bagels and cream cheese range from what you would expect to the slightly offbeat. My moms' favorite is the everything bagel with lox spread. Mine is the Old Bay bagel with the veggie spread.  If you're really hungry, you can get a breakfast sandwich on a bagel which should fill you up until dinner.

If you prefer lunch, you have the choice of a sandwich, wrap, or salad which are not only tasty but huge. These can easily be split between two people or eaten over two days.

The coffee is Swell Joe out of Lewes. It is good. Not as good as some of the others on this list, but a perfectly respectable cup of coffee. Surf Bagel only serves drip coffee, no espresso drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment