Thursday, May 6, 2021

Restaurant Review: Columbus Inn

"First we eat, then we do everything else."
--M.F.K. Fisher 

The Columbus Inn is a storied part of my history. Way back in the day, when my grandmother was just a lass, she and her sister (my indomitable Aunt Martha) would be sent there by their mother to drag their father off his barstool and home to his family.

Fast forward nearly a century. My husband and I were in the process of breaking up and he was trying to convince me that it was a bad idea. He brought me here for my birthday dinner. It would end up being the last meal we ever ate together.

Fast forward another thirty something years. My college roommate (CR) and I had plans that were rained out so we were looking for Plan B. I decided it was time to revisit the Columbus Inn. Like not getting back together with my husband, it was a good decision.

As I walked into the restaurant, I was struck by the sense of history. The bar is lovely and dimly lit with high top tables and comfortable seats at the bar itself. The restaurant refers to this section as the tavern and that is exactly what it looks and feels like. The proper dining room is quite lovely. High ceiling with tables that are not too close together all beautifully lit. The noise level is perfect.

I am still looking for the special cocktail, but our waiter had no idea what I was talking about so, again, we went to Plan B. For those of you who follow my posts, you know that CR and I very picky about our cocktails. The ones we were served were very good. My martini had a touch too much vermouth, but that often happens as bartenders refuse to believe how I like it. No matter; it tasted fine and I enjoyed it.

In addition to cocktails, the Inn offers a wide variety of beer and wine. The beer list is filled with local and craft beers in addition to what you would expect to see. The wine list has some interesting choices all priced relatively reasonably.

The food is where the restaurant truly shines. Both CR and I started with the mixed green leaf salad. Perfect size with which to start the meal, it was an excellent mix of greens with a few extra touches. The salad was dressed to perfection with a lovely vinaigrette.

I followed with a rainbow trout that was out of this world. Stuffed with a bit of cornbread and accompanied by greens (which I normally am not a fan of), the dish's components worked perfectly together. I ate the whole plate of food, something I almost never do.

CR ordered the crab cocktail which was incredibly fresh and beautifully presented. She accompanied this with the dish of the night, a side of crispy Brussels sprouts that were covered in parmesan and bread crumbs. We both remarked that we could have had a bowl of these and been satisfied.

Although we never do this, CR and I were having so much fun we decided to extend the evening and look at the dessert menu. On offer was a mint chocolate chip crème brûlée. How do you pass on that? We didn't. It was outstanding and we made short work of it.

The service is what you would expect, professional and competent. Our server was very pleasant, very patient, and very helpful when we were deciding what to order.

I was impressed by the Columbus Inn. The food and drinks were excellent for a fair price and the service was very good. I can see why my great-grandfather used to spend time here.

Columbus Inn
2216 Pennsylvania Avenue
Wilmington, DE
302-571-1492
(Isn't that the greatest phone number ever!)


No comments:

Post a Comment