Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Restaurant Review: Thompson Island Brewing Company

"[S]imple food can translate to beautiful simple beers."
-- Matt Patton, SoDel Concepts Director of Operations

The New York International Beer Competition is a big deal. Brewers from fourteen countries submit over 800 different beers in over thirty categories. Many of these brewers have been around for a long time and know what they're doing.

Imagine the cheek of a brewery that is a year old entering such a competition. Now, imagine that brewery not only winning three silver medals, but being named Delaware Brewery of the Year. That is exactly what happened in 2021 with Thompson Island Brewing Company. I had to go check this out.

The first thing that struck me when I walked in was how spacious the restaurant is. Completely open plan with booths arranged along the walls, long tables throughout the middle, and a long, inviting bar at one end. The space is beautifully lit from both huge windows letting in natural light and subtle lighting that does not call attention to itself. Behind the hostess stand as you walk in are vases filled with beautiful sunflowers.

You would think that such a large space would be deafening. It is not. The music is a tad loud for my taste, but not enough to mar the experience. I was able to hold conversations, hear everything that was said, and not have to shout in response. I am fine with that.

The kitchen and the brewery are both on display. From where I was sitting at the bar, I could not see the kitchen, but I had a front seat to the brewery. I was able to watch the brewers as they worked and marvel at the amount of liquid they were generating.

I was immediately seated at the bar and I was greeted with a smile by the bartender. I have to give a shout out to Leanne, the bartender. She could not have been nicer, answering all my questions and always being around without hovering. The service I received was perfect.


I ordered a flight of four beers so that I could sample a variety of what is on offer. To begin, I had a taster of the Vacation Vibes Fruited Wheat Ale (not pictured). This beer is bright pink which, I must admit, took me aback. It also has a very fruity taste as you can imagine, so between the sweetish beer and the color, this is not one I will be rushing back for.

Things picked up immediately when I moved onto my flight. The beer on the far left is No Bad Days Lager. Crisp with a fair amount of flavor for such a light beer, this would be a lovely sipping beer sitting on the beach in the sunshine.

The middle right is Dunkelalz Wheat Ale. I expected it to be rather heavy, but it is lighter than you would expect. Still filled with the traditional flavors, it drank very easily. Again, one that I would drink on its own as it did not need food to enhance its flavors.

The far right is Thompson Island IPA, the brewery's signature beer. For good reason. It is magnificent. The flavors are an interesting combination of pine and coconut that took me by surprise at how pleasant it was to drink. This beer has already been awarded a gold medal at the 2020 US Open Beer Championship. Keep in mind the brewery was less than a year old at that point.

Finally, the middle left is Cosmic Cow Stout. It was all right, but it tasted a bit like coffee with creamer in it. As I drink my coffee black, it was a bit "sticky" for me.

In addition to their own beers, Thompson Island serves "Guest Drafts" which are both local and national. The bar also includes a large selection of bottled beers covering the full range and some ciders. The wine list is pretty good, if a little on the pricey side for standard bottles. There is, finally, a full cocktail list that includes everything you would imagine at a beach bar.



As it is probably a good idea to eat something while drinking, you are spoilt for choice here. The menu includes everything from snacks to apps to sandwiches to bowls to mains. The restaurant is known for its Wood Fired choices, but as I was there for lunch, a full on steak meal seemed a bit over the top. I will be sorely tempted when I come back for dinner.

The restaurant serves daily specials that are a true bargain. I was there on Burger Day and I was the only one at the bar not eating a burger. I ordered the street corn salad which was brand new on the menu that day. Accompanied by two fried tortillas, it was delicious. Full of flavor, yet light enough that I didn't feel like a nap when I got up to leave.

I was incredibly impressed with Thompson Island Brewing Company. The beers were tasty and easy to drink and the food was just as good. I am looking forward to my next visit.

Thompson Island Brewing Company
30133 Veterans Way
Rehoboth Beach, DE
302-226-4677


No comments:

Post a Comment