Sunday, March 14, 2021

Maryland's Covered Bridges

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges."
-- Isaac Newton

I have a recurring nightmare. I am standing at the top of a very tall bridge and I have to get down to the other side. As I have a crippling fear of heights and as we all know what bridges represent in dreams, it does not take Freud to understand what I am going through when I have this dream. I always wake up crying and sweating.

Why is it, then, that I simply love bridges? I love to drive across them; I love to walk across them. I love to listen to the water flow beneath them. I especially love covered bridges because they always seem to be the perfect combination of function and beauty.
Image my joy when I discovered that the state of Maryland has six covered bridges. Each of them is on public land and, therefore, can be visited and photographed to my heart's content. I set off to see all six.

FREDERICK COUNTY

Utica Mills Bridge

Although Johnstown, Pennsylvania is approximately 175 miles away from where this bridge stands now, the infamous flood of 1889 destroyed many of the bridges in this part of the world.

This span is what remains from what was a bigger, two span bridge a bit further upstream. It has been repaired and maintained many times over the years, but enough of the original timbers remain that it can still claim a 1843 build date.

This is a lovely bridge that is still in use today. It is a bit tricky to visit as it is surrounded by private property. There is a small area where you can pull your car over while you take photos, but it is not a place that invites you to linger for too long.

Loys Station Bridge

This is the second bridge located at this spot as the first was destroyed by arson in 1991. There are a few of the original timbers built into it, but for all intents and purposes, this bridge was built in 2011.

No matter. It is gorgeous and it has a fabulous history. Many years ago, there was a railway stop about 100 feet from the bridge which is how it got its name. Although long since abandoned, the tracks still exist and make for an interesting walk through a lovely park.

Even better, on July 7, 1863, General Meade and his army crossed this bridge as they were chasing General Lee after a rather decisive victory about thirty miles up the road. 

This is not only a beautiful bridge, it is a great place to stop. There is a small park with a playground and some picnic tables as well as the great walk along the railway tracks I already mentioned. As I was wandering around, a couple asked me to take their picture standing next to the bridge. As I did, they told me they had just gotten engaged and I was the first person they had told. I wore a huge smile on my face for the rest of the day.

Roddy Road Bridge

The shortest of the three bridges, this one had to be completely rebuilt in 2016 after a truck did irreparable damage to the original. Not even the timber was determined to be reusable.

Not that it matters. This is a lovely little bridge over a small stream that just gurgles away. Next to the bridge is a charming little park. It contains a few things for children to play on (I hesitate to label what they have a playground) and some picnic tables.

What's fun about this bridge is what are called "Headache Bars" situated on both sides of the bridge. They are poles that hang down to the height of the bridge. If your vehicle hits them, you are going to know it. You are also going to know that you cannot go through the bridge. Lesson learned.

Logistics: These three bridges are very close to one another. From the parking spot at Utica to the parking lot at Roddy Road is just over eleven miles. Including stops at all three bridges to walk around and take pictures, I spent about an hour. Do yourself a favor. Download the driving instructions that you will find on the website at the bottom of this post. It felt really old school to follow directions on a piece of paper, but they are flawless. They will lead you exactly where you want to go.


NORTHEAST MARYLAND

Jericho Bridge

Part of the Jerusalem Mill Historic Village, this bridge has been here since 1865. At the time, this area was a mass of cotton mills, factories, and iron works on one side of the river and flour mills and shops on the other. It only made sense that a bridge be built to bring everything together.

In fact, there were two, but only this one survives. It has been rehabilitated, refurbished, and all but rebuilt many times since then, but parts of this bridge are still original.

This one requires a bit of legwork to get to. There is no parking at the bridge itself, so the best thing to do is to park at the Historic Village and walk down. Although the village buildings are still closed up tight, the grounds are open and were filled with people when I was there. There are a bunch of paths to walk and it is all very well signposted.

Gilpin's Falls Bridge

Built in 1861, this bridge is the longest of the six. It is also the only one no longer in active use.

In 1936, State Route 272 was built right next it and the decision was made to bypass the bridge. Because it was no longer in active use, the bridge fell into serious disrepair and very nearly collapsed several times.

Another town in Maryland offered to buy the bridge as the people of the town wanted to repair it and transport it to one of its public parks. The local Gilpin citizens decided that was not going to happen and found the funds to make the necessary repairs. It has been completely rehabilitated several times, the most recent in 2010.

I really liked this bridge. Although it is next to a busy road, when I crossed it and was walking along the banks of the river, I got a real sense of what this area must have been like when the bridge was built. Plus, there were three boys on the opposite bank with fishing poles in their hands laughing and having the time of their lives. I ended watching them for a few minutes, marveling at how much I could learn from these (I would guess) ten year olds about how to live in the moment.

Foxcatcher Farms Bridge

Built at the same time as the Gilpin's Fall Bridge, this one is still in use. It was originally built near the site of a building that through the years was everything from a factory to a mill to a tanbark yard. I had to look it up as well. Tanbark is a form of wood mulch.

In 1927, William duPont bought a vast amount of land in this corner of Maryland, including the tract the bridge sits on. He raised horses and hunted fox which is how the bridge got the name it has now. The bridge was badly damaged during duPont's ownership, but he paid to have it repaired.

In 1975, the State of Maryland bought the land and created the Fair Hill Natural Resources Management Area that still exists today. Many of its programs are on hold for obvious reasons, but its grounds are open and seem to be incredibly popular. Parking in the fairly extensive lot was a bit of a challenge.

This was another bridge I really liked. I got a sense of its age and, unlike some of the others, it sits up on a rise so it has a bit of majesty to it.

Logistics: There is now a greater distance between the various bridges. From Roddy Road to Jericho is just under 100 miles. It is mostly on interstates with decent speed limits, so the time wasn't too bad. Jericho is rather off by itself with Gilpin's Falls being about another 25 miles up the road. Foxcatcher is about another 5. Again, I strongly urge you to print out the driving instructions from the link below. They will make your life so much easier.

I had an absolutely smashing day with these bridges. Not only were the bridges everything I hoped they would be, but driving from one to another was a real treat. They all seem to be located in farm country where all you see are wide open spaces and beautiful old farmhouses set back from the road. I saw horses and cows. I saw an Amish farmer plowing his field with a team. I saw eggs for sale and firewood for sale. In other words, I got to spend the day breathing deeply, smiling broadly,  and crossing bridges. Not a nightmare in sight.


No comments:

Post a Comment