Wednesday, October 17, 2012

New Fall Shows -- Part Two

Here is part two of my television recap. Thanks to all of you who commented on the first one.


NEW SHOWS:
Arrow (CW Wednesday at 8.00)
Everything I know about Green Arrow I learned from Smallville. Although there are similarities between the two shows, this is not your father’s Oliver Queen. Much darker; much more violent; in many ways, much better. I have never read the comics, so I cannot comment on how faithful this was to them, but I loved it and can’t wait for the second episode.

Nashville (ABC Wednesday at 10.00)
This show got a lot of really positive press buzz before the premiere, and for good reason. It is fantastic! Both Connie Britton (Friday Night Lights) and Hayden Panettiere (Heroes) are superb, both acting and singing. Did I mention the music is wonderful? Give this one a shot.

Chicago Fire (NBC Wednesday at 10.00)
Dick Wolf has moved from the police department to the fire department. One of the things that made Law & Order so good was that it was all about the case. We knew almost nothing about the characters’ private lives and we didn’t need to. This is exactly the opposite. There is a fair amount of fire fighting, but in the first hour we learn something personal about everyone in the squad. And, the two men who hate each other end up saving each other’s lives. Not the greatest pilot I’ve ever seen, but I’ll watch next week just to see if the two couples I think are cheating actually are.

Beauty and the Beast (CW Thursday at 9.00)
All I need to say is that when Vincent “beasted out,” I burst out laughing. This one may profit from the fact that its lead-in is the very strong Vampire Diaries, but I am hoping that most people have the sense to change the channel.

Emily Owens, M.D. (CW Tuesday at 9.00) Grey’s Lite, this is a very standard medical drama. The heroine is a spunky, insecure first year intern who, on her first day, saves a life and helps a daughter re-connect with her mother. While we’ve seen it all many, many times, I must admit that my heart broke for Emily a bit when she told her crush how she felt and he rejected her. Probably not one I will follow religiously, but it was good enough.

OVERALL:
ABC didn’t have a great premiere season. Only The Neighbors has had a positive response from the network and that is only to order three new scripts. Although Last Resort was my favorite pilot, the last few episodes have fallen a bit flat. It needs to pick up its game as well as its numbers.

CBS fared better. Both Vegas and Elementary are doing all right in the numbers and I, for one, would like to see both of them survive. Partners hasn’t made the numbers and will most likely not make it to sweeps. Made in Jersey, as I predicted, lasted all of two episodes. A shame; it was a sweet little show.

The CW must be dancing in their offices. Both Beauty and the Beast and Arrow had good opening numbers for the network. But, it’s hard to tell how much of that was just pilot watching and whether or not the shows will sustain the numbers.

NBC was the first to order full seasons of three of its shows, so it appears they are happy with their freshmen. Revolution is currently their highest rated show. Go On is also doing well, but interestingly, people are changing the channel rather than watch The New Normal. I say interestingly because I think the latter is the better of the two shows. I do think, however, that it may be a bit too on the nose for some.

Fox appears happy with its freshman comedies; it appears less happy with the new drama. Both Ben and Kate and The Mindy Project have been given full season orders. The Mob Doctor will almost certainly not make it to sweeps.

FINAL EVALUATION:
Biggest Disappointment = 666 Park Avenue. Great cast and great premise, but lousy show.

Biggest Shock Hit = Ben and Kate. I know that a lot of people like it, but I loathe it. I gave it another episode, but it just doesn’t resonate with me at all.

Best Actor = Andre Braugher in Last Resort. Playing just this side of insane, he is breathtakingly good. Too bad it’s not enough to carry this show, at least not yet.

Best Actress = Connie Britton in Nashville. She can sing as well!

Best Duo = Either Quaid/Chiklis in Vegas or Miller/Liu in Elementary.

Best Comedy = The New Normal, but I’m beginning to fade on it a bit.

Best Drama = Revolution, but get through the second episode which is pretty bad. Currently my favorite new show, but I can see Nashville giving it a run for its money.

No comments:

Post a Comment